Sunday, September 04, 2005

Me and the Garden

Today's Post is Dedicated to my Backyard

I was out working on the backyard/garden yesterday. It has been severely neglected and so much of my time was spent clearing out weeds and ivy. I don't know much about gardening or gardens or plants, so I can't always distinguish the good plants from the bad plants (those that some like to call "weeds"). Nevertheless, there is a job to do and I have never been one to shirk my duty (excpet when it is really annoying or inconvenient). In short: I must decide which plants are to live and which are to die. It is an awesome responsibility and my awareness of this is never far from my mind. I have adopted a simple strategy: I keep the plants I like, and I get rid of those those that I don't like. I don't claim that this is fair.

Plants I like: The myrtle, the azaleas, the plant with nice green leaves with white spots that my schvooger decimated a few years ago. I like also the mimosa fern tree, the holly (when it isn't invading another plant), and the monkey grass, and of course the established trees. I like the moss, but it needs a lot of encouragement.

I don't like the ivy and the little weeds that spring up everywhere.

There is a little poison ivy. I don't particularly like it, but I respect and fear it. We have a mutual live-and-let-live policy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home